• Before using this site, you should visit our Privacy Policy to ensure you agree with its terms

 

Country Resources

Tourist Offices & Advice

Travel Resources & Information





Offers & Topics

   

Explore India with the Experts

India


For any trip to India, the adventure starts on arrival. This might seem an obvious idea. But the light, the colours, the scents and smells, the teeming humanity, all this an more is guranteed to almost overwhelm the equilibrium of even the most seasoned traveller.



This sense of chaotic otherness stays with you, even as you travel from airport to city, or between cities. Tuk Tuks, taxis and rickshaws compete and juggle for space on the roads. But look closer, and it becomes clear that actually this chaos becomes visible sooner of later, as a carefully choreographed waltz.



India is diverse. Another tautology, another wave of the mind toward the obvious. But it is true that the landscape offers tropical, palm-fringed beaches in Goa, and the idyllic Kerala Backwaters, known locally as God's Own Country. To the North, the desert landscapes of Rajasthan and the three cities that make up The Golden Triangle present the traveller with magnificent forts and palaces dating back to the Moghul era.



And then in contrast to those southern beaches, at the opposite end of the country, the mountain scenery of the breathtaking Himalayas occupies the North like a brroding sentinel.



The people? Almost 80% of Indians are practising Hindus, with extraordinary diversity within that group. Theb remaining population ensures a range of beliefs and traditions, all waiting to be discovered through festivals, customs and architecture. A must is the remote region of Ladakh, set high in the Himalayas, is known as Little Tibet with prayer flags and Buddhist monasteries throughout the landscape. Every year millions of Sikhs make the pilgrimage to the Golden Temple in Amritsar and you are rarely far from a Muslim call to prayer. Arriving in India, whether for the first or tenth time, is a real adventure. Even travelling to the cities of India from the airport begins to give a sense of what this incredible country has to offer. Tuk Tuks, taxis and rickshaws jumble for space on the roads in what, at first, appears chaotic but on closer inspection works like a carefully choreographed dance.



The sheer diversity of India is mind-blowing. The landscape varies from the tropical, palm-fringed beaches of Goa to the idyllic Kerala Backwaters, known locally as God's Own Country. Further north the desert landscapes of Rajasthan and the trio of cities that make up The Golden Triangle offer a chance to discover magnificent forts and palaces which date back to the Moghul era. In dramatic contrast to the southern beaches, the mountain scenery of the incredible Himalayas runs across the far north of the country.



Almost 80% of Indians are practising Hindus but the remaining 20% manage to ensure that religion throughout India is equally diverse. The remote region of Ladakh, set high in the Himalayas, is known as Little Tibet with prayer flags and Buddhist monasteries dotting the landscape. Every year millions of Sikh's make the pilgrimage to the Golden Temple in Amritsar and you are rarely far from a Muslim call to prayer.In the north-eastern states of Assam and Nagaland travellers are welcomed by a mainly Christian population.



Travelling through India with Explore gives discening travellers the best out of a holiday. Explore Leaders will show you where to get the best local food, from the delicious belpuris in Mumbai to the crisp, light masala dosas that are a southern speciality. They'll talk to you about family life, traditions, what happens during the three days of an Indian wedding and anything else you want to know! Find of more here: Visit Explore




Share

<< Back    Articles Home    Next>>